Clichés used in an Oxford Dictionary anti-clichés article
October 15, 2010
Posted by on
We all hate clichés. As this article on avoiding clichés from the Oxford Dictionaries says, they’re not always possible to avoid.
Here are some clichés used in the article’s text. These are not examples they give, but clichés they use in the body text:
- Once you’ve spotted a cliché…
- they’ve lost their impact
- [they’ve] become stale
- Some people just tune out
- make a point [they may miss the point that you’re trying to make]
- use [something] as a starting point
- indispensable advice
At least they didn’t say “avoid clichés like the plague,” the clichéd anti-cliché joke.